Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Taking A New Direction

New Directions....


As the heading suggest I'm taking this blog on a new direction.  I've taken this blog on several unsuccessful journeys which have not gone as I would have like instead they just ended miserably.  I decided that I would devote this blog to promoting great music from Ireland.  

What does a girl in Michigan know about Irish music or even Irish musicians.  I know what I like and what I don't.  I was amazed at how many different bands that I like are from Ireland.  The band Snowpatrol is from Belfast in Northern Ireland and The Chieftains are from Dublin .  Celtic Thunder they are from the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland.  Gaelic Storm another great Irish band.  U2 another hugely successful band from Dublin, Ireland.  

The purpose of this blog is to promote the music of Neil Byrne and Ryan Kelly, who are current members of the group Celtic Thunder.  I think they need to get a little more exposure if they are to be successful in the United States and Canada.  I know they are probably more popular in North America and Australia then in their home country.  PBS has helped to a point but now its time to further the cause of great Irish musical talent.  I should probably include George Donaldson as well into the mix but alas he hasn't yet had a show in Michigan

On May 11, 2012 I had the opportunity to see Neil Byrne and Ryan Kelly perform live at the Old Shillelagh in Detroit, MI.  Acoustic by Candlelight, the name of their shows, was absolutely amazing there is no way to really sum up the experience of seeing them live.  If you have the opportunity to see their show it is well worth the money.   These shows are nothing like the Celtic Thunder shows because it is a more intimate setting where as the CT shows are grand productions.

Last December 7, 2011 I experienced my first Celtic Thunder concert.  I was blown away by the whole experience.  I loved every minute of it and wouldn't trade that memory for anything.  I'm not a regular concert goer because my past musical concert taste are rather dated so I was glad when I got to spend a night in the company of great Irish talent.  I didn't want to leave the vicinity of The Fox Theater in Detroit, MI without meeting the lads in person.  I didn't have the coveted meet&greet tickets from PBS but just regular main floor seats which were priced a bit cheaper than if I'd pledged for them through PBS.  

I've only recently downloaded Neil Byrne's EP - Sensitive Souls as well as his solo CD entitled Pale Blue Jak - Faces and Ryan Kelly's solo CD In Time.  I even downloaded Celtic Thunder's newest CD Voyage.  I hope that I'll be able to see them in Windsor, Ontario, Canada when they come to The Colosseum at Caesars Windsor on September 16, 2012.  

If you can get the opportunity to see Neil and Ryan live during one of their acoustic concerts or even when they start touring with Celtic Thunder.  I've posted the link to Ryan Kelly's blog for the Acoustic By Candlelight with the dates for all the shows and you might still have time to catch one before they leave for Ireland.

No comments: