Sunday, April 9, 2017

My Adventure in the World of Avon

Last fall I decided to hop on the Avon bandwagon.  I ordered some stuff for me but never really made any money.  So I didn't end 2016 on a positive note for my Avon business.  At the beginning of 2017 I was all but ready to call it quits.  I would read post about how other people where having this great success while I wasn't.  I didn't really have any one on one help.  I had to do it all myself.  

Before I continue my story I should mention that I'm living with my parents who are both senior citizens and my younger brother.  We've been living with them since 2005 which is when my dad went into the hospital for a triple heart bypass surgery.  I was unemployed and had just moved back home after spending about nine months living in Lexington, KY.  I had separated from my ex before moving home.  My mom sent me the money to get a moving truck so we could take our stuff home.  In the fall of 2005 I started working for a movie theater that just opened up not far from my house.  I worked there almost 6 years before I was terminated.  That's not a word I like to use in polite conversation because it makes me feel like I was in the wrong.  I was just really tired of all the nit picking plus I was under a lot of stress at home.

In 2012 I started working as an usher but this time in an outdoor concert venue the only drawback is that you were employed as independent contractor which meant they didn't take out income tax which means you had to pay tax at the end of the year on what you made.  It was mostly in the evening and about two or three times a week if we were lucky.  My brother started working there end of 2014 because they were understaffed and were in need of people who could work.  In fall of 2015 we learned that the venue was being taken over by another company and that we would need to apply to the new company if we still wanted to work.  Good news was it was pretty easy to get into the new company since we'd been working at the previous company before.

In May of 2016 we got hired to work for Palace Sports and Entertainment which was cool cause it gave us the opportunity to work at more than one venue.  We got to see some really great concerts and we met a lot of nice people best of all was that after the summer was over we were able to continue working because we would work all of the Detroit Pistons home games.  We'd work all the preseason and most of the regular season with the exception of a few in December which was because I was sick and in the hospital.  End of 2016 we learned that the team would be moving to Downtown Detroit in the same arena that the Redwings were moving too.  Just last week we learned there would be a job fair for those who would be interested in moving to the new arena.  So far we're still living in Michigan for now.

Since I've been working most of the year I was able to afford Avon.  That doesn't make much sense, what I'm trying to say is that I would be able to purchase thing I would need without asking for money from my mom.  A few years ago by dad was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer, good news is that the cancer is undetectable but he has to take a cancer pill instead of getting those really expensive shots.  Every 6 or 3 months he has to cancer doctor to get a check up to make sure his test score are all good.  Besides having survived cancer he had to have a couple of stents put into his heart but that not really the worst of it.  My dad also has dementia and life isn't easy for us, the three people that do basically everything to keep him alive.  He takes a pill to help his memory but that helps just a little bit.  

In 2012 my mom was in the hospital because of her legs.  From then on her legs have always been giving her trouble though she hasn't had to go back into the hospital but life hasn't been easy.  She uses her walker almost 24/7 with the exception of when she's sleeping or knitting.  Dealing with my mom isn't as bad as dealing with my dad's dementia.  Recently he's started to forget to take the rest of his pills in the morning, evening and night time which seems to have been the reason why he's been so moody lately.  I belong to a support group on FB for people whose loved ones have dementia.  I read some of the stories which are heartbreaking but then there are the ones that I can identify with because its relatively similar to my situation.

Now back to how I got started with Avon.  My initial reason was to make some extra money.  I knew that my cousin sold Avon.  She tried signing me up before but I could never get into YA.  So I talked to her via messenger about signing up to sell Avon.  She could sign me up under her.  I would be part of her downline.  I'd sold Avon before and only needed some brochures and some samples.  She said she would send me some stuff but the stuff she sent never came so I ended up going onto YA to enter my first order.  I made sure to order brochures and some samples along with a few items for me to try out.  

Since I didn't have any brochures to hand out prior to the deadline of my first campaign I was my only customer.  It took me a few more campaigns before I was able to get everything I needed to put in the bags with my brochures.  With my first order I didn't order some must needed office supplies which didn't help.  I didn't have any literature bags until after my second campaign.  I continued being my only customer those three months in 2016.  

In December I had secured another spot at a vendor/craft show but this time I had my Avon brochures and a few gift baskets I created.  I was also selling my mom's knitted items and my jewelry as well.  My brother gave out one book but nothing ever came from that one book.  I'm sure the person who took it needed it to place an order with her Avon lady.  The day ended with no sales from either Avon or my crafts.  I think there were quite a few people that day that didn't sell one thing thus making back the money that was spent for the table.

After that event I didn't feel like selling anything.  My mom started complaining about not selling anything and that I wasted my money.  Her complaining didn't help my state of mind.  By the end of the month I was ready to give up selling Avon.  I didn't place anymore orders after that failed attempt at that show.  I was feeling pretty low.  I would read post about how people were doing good with their business.  I would see great ideas and think they could work for me.  The beginning of the year of 2017 I was going to call it quits.  I just couldn't figure out how I would keep being my only customer.  I couldn't figure out how to get more customers.  I had a guy at work who wanted to purchase Wild Country splash after shave which wasn't available until Campaign 5.  

Campaign 5, I submitted  via my e-Store since I that was the only way I would be able to make any money on an order.  My mentor had looked at my previous submitted orders in order to figure out how to help me.  I was still uncomfortable asking people if they would like an Avon brochure.  I asked the women that worked in the office of my dad's PC if they would be interested but it turns out that someone in the office sells Avon.  It was like a stab in the heart.  I knew that doctors offices were a great place to leave brochures.  I thought about leaving some where my mom goes to the skin doctor but as it turns out someone already has their brochures laid out on an end table in the tiny waiting room.

I missed Campaign 6 and I submitted a large Campaign 7 order via YA.  I basically ordered 2 packs brochures for Campaign 8 and 9, some samples, and some items from various brochures and outlet books.  Campaign 8,  I filled out an order but never submitted it because it was basically just sales tools that I needed.

Now back to the beginning of the year when I thought about giving up.  Things in my house aren't always calm which doesn't aide in my confidence level.  My brother was really the only one who thought I could do this, sell Avon.  He was willing to help me with what ever I needed. I read a post in early part of 2017 that gave me a glimmer of hope.  I was tagged in a post from my mentor, Amy D.  I had won the three piece Prima fragrance collection which included the bottle of perfume, the tube of body lotion and the tube of  shower gel.  I never won anything and I saw this as a sign that I should put more effort into selling Avon.  

I got all my books for C9 ready to hand out.  I even created 11 sample bags which contains a large  sample card plus two small female and male fragrance samples plus a tiny tube of lipstick.  Every bag is the same but only difference is the large fragrance card.  I also created two t-shirts advertising Avon.  I made one for my brother and one for me with the brand message on the back because I think its more likely to be see because its on the back.  

I plan to hand out brochures but its not been very nice where I live.  Today was the first truly nice warm day outside.  Tomorrow it looks like rain but I work tomorrow night so I won't be able to do much tomorrow afternoon.  I'm hoping to go get my hair cut thus handing out some brochures in the process.  I know this has been a long post but it does shed some light on why I have had problems selling.  I apparently have ADHD according to my mom who read something about it online.  My mom asked me where I was gonna hand out my brochures but still isn't really supportive.  She could help me out by finding places that might take some of my brochures.  Maybe once I start making some money she'll be on my side.  I want to continue to sell Avon because I see what working hard can get and what it can do for your confidence.

This story will continue.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So how long have you actually been with Avon?

CelticSweetie said...

Since about October 2016. Not long at all but I sold some while in college. I didn't do very good back then. There was no social media like there is now and I didn't have anyone helping me or encouraging me.