Friday, December 10, 2010

Crafting for Profit or Fun

I first started knitting scarfs back when I was a teenager. They were easy to make and only required straight needles. Two years ago I made my first pair of socks which I do wear. I had never made anything using the double pointed needles until the day I bought two balls of sock yarn. My mom knits too as well as my grandma but I don't credit them for teaching me how to knit. I consider myself a self taught knitter. My mom is subscribed to various knitting magazines which have a help section in the back. I taught myself how to cast on stitches using one of her magazines. I even taught myself how to Kitchener stitch by watching a how-to video that can be found on you tube. The only thing I'm not able to do is pick up stitches when completing the heel of a sock. Earlier this month I was making a beret and I was getting mixed up so I just unraveled it and started all over. I finally finished it for the second time. I've also made two hats that remind me of a pillbox hat. I've made one pair of child mittens and I'm currently working on making a pair of adult mittens to go with one of the hats I made. Besides all the hats and mittens I've made I've also made some dust covers for the Swiffer. Besides knitting I also make earrings and bracelets. I've posted two pairs of earrings on a website called Etsy.com in hopes of selling one pair to make some extra money. Handmade crafts have finally found a place online. I'm sure there are some people who have the drive to create a website to sell their handmade good but now there is a website where people can post their items to sell without creating an entire web page for their items. Etsy.com is the website where you can find all sorts of handmade items, vintage items, as well as materials for crafting. I know that I love making stuff to give as presents for people but now I need to craft for profit because money is tight so this will be the only way to make extra money.

No comments: